Peru and Chile - Machu Picchu and Inca Highlights
- Explore the mysterious grandeur of Machu Picchu
- Discover fascinating sites such as Chan-Chan and the Nazca Lines
- Enjoy an exciting combination of sea and land adventures
- Experience a wide variety of natural and cultural wonders
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Overnight in Lima including breakfast before the cruise
- Two overnights at Hotel Tambo del Inka including half board before the cruise
- 3-course set lunch and dinner on day 2 and 3, and lunch box on day 4
- Roundtrip flights between Lima-Cusco-Lima
- All transfers and train rides as described, including English-speaking guide
- Entrance fee as listed in program
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international hand-picked team of highly educated experts from various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for Suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating Wellness Center with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-Fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
The land program in Peru is an active program that takes place at high altitudes (the city of Cusco´s altitude is around 11,000 ft). Physical condition should be prepared for high altitudes.Hurtigruten offers unique expedition cruises to some of the most remote and pristine waters of the world. As with all expeditions, nature prevails. Weather, ice and sea conditions set the final framework for all Hurtigruten operations. Safety and unparalleled guest experiences are at all times our top priorities. All our indicative itineraries are continuously evaluated for adaptions, whether this is due to constraints that the elements unexpectedly present – or exciting possibilities nature and wildlife offer. That is why we call it an expedition.
Colonial and Ancient History - Lima, Peru - Hotel
Lima's history predates the Spanish colonial presence in Peru. Present-day Lima was founded by the Spanish conquistadores in 1542 and the ruling Vice Royalty of Peru proceeded to build significant churches, monasteries, and mansions. Today, Lima's historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore the city on your own before spending the night in a hotel.
Scenic city tour of Lima (4 hrs)
Discover the fascinating highlights of the Peruvian capital in a specially designed panorama bus that allows you to get a great view of what makes Lima so special. You will be picked up by a bus and taken on a ride to see the landmarks of the city and get numerous chances to take memorable pictures while a knowledgeable guide will tell you everything you need to know about this beautiful place.
UNESCO Site and Ancient History - Cusco/Sacred Valley - Hotel
In the morning, we will transfer you to your flight from Lima to Cusco. Enjoy lunch before visiting one of the most amazing Incan constructions in the area, the formidable Sacsayhuamán fortress. Sacsayhuamán means 'satisfied falcon', the mythical creature that guarded the capital of the empire. The name also makes sense as it was possible to overlook all of Cusco from the hill where the fortress was built.
Construction of the site took more than seven decades and required the labor of 20,000 men to set the foundations, hew the stone, transport materials, and carve and set the stonework. Like many Incan structures, the fortress was built entirely without mortar, yet the enormous stones fit so perfectly that a single blade of grass will not pass between them. The craftsmanship is a stunning example of the Inca’s sophisticated construction and architectural skills. In the afternoon, we continue to Tambo del Inka Resort in the Sacred Valley for dinner and an overnight stay.
Highlights of the Incan Empire - Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu
After breakfast, you are in for some unforgettable highlights. First, we visit to Ollantaytambo, an Incan town that shares its name with the formidable stone fortress that clings to a massive cliff looming over the community. This fortification was the valley’s main defence against the rival Antis people and was the site of the Incas’ greatest victory against the Spanish during the wars of conquest.
Next, head to the nearby train station to board the deluxe Hiram Bingham train to Machu Picchu. A delicious brunch is served as we enjoy spectacular views on the way to Machu Picchu.
At last, we arrive at spectacular Machu Picchu. This hidden city overlooks the raging Urubamba River and was shielded from discovery for centuries by thick tangles of vines and trees. Now one of the great destinations in world travel, the city of Machu Picchu still hides the secret of its rise and fall, as the Incas left behind no written records. Explore the city's ruins, feel its pulse and visualise the lives of the priests, craftsmen, and servants who inhabited this incredible place. Excavations at the site have revealed skeletons, artefacts and woollen clothing. Inspect the famous precision of Incan stonework on display here. After spending an unforgettable day exploring the ruins, you can enjoy tea at Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge before we head back by train to Tambo del Inka Resort for another relaxing evening and overnight stay.
Center of the Incan Empire - Cusco to Lima/Callao - Embarkation
After breakfast, we head to Cusco, once the center of the Inca Empire. Visit the splendid baroque Cusco Cathedral, built in the mid-1500s on the foundations of an Incan palace. Many of the stones used in its construction were looted from the nearby Sacsayhuaman fortress. We continue to Koricancha, to admire the lovely Dominican Convent of Santo Domingo, demonstratively built atop the Temple of the Sun, the most important temple in the Inca Empire.
After a half day of exploring, we take you to the airport for your flight to Lima and transfer to Callao, where MS Roald Amundsen is ready to continue the expedition at sea.
The Nazca Lines - Paracas, Peru
Paracas is the gateway to the quiet colonial town of Pisco and its fertile coastal valley with the famous and mysterious Nazca lines and geoglyphs. These lines were scratched on the surface of the ground between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D.
Ballestas Islands (3 hrs)
Explore one of this region's most beautiful natural attractions, the Ballestas Islands, often referred to as ‘Peru's Galapagos’, with its volcanic scenery and diverse wildlife. Spot sea birds and mammals on the boat trip and enjoy photogenic landscapes on the islands. Enjoy some free time to explore and perhaps see seals, sea lions, and even penguins!
At your Leisure - At sea
Days at sea mean you can join the expedition team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh salt air as you scout for wildlife. Of course, there’s also plenty of time to chat with fellow explorers.
Adventure and Archaeology - Arica, Chile
Arica is blessed with a warm climate all year round, and we will spend a full day here. Explore the city, walk up the `El Morro´ cliff to get a panoramic view, see the beaches or visit the archaeological sites with some of the world's oldest known mummies.
Atacama Coastal Walk (3 hrs 30)
Depart the pier and head towards the beach resorts of El Laucho and La Lisera. At El Morro de Arica vista, we enjoy a panoramic view of the city, port and ocean. We then proceed south along the coastal road to Corazones/Anzata, where we walk up sandy hills that lead us to Puntilla. Here we observe sea lions and many local birds at close range. After relaxing, taking pictures and breathing the ocean air, we walk back to the buses and return to the pier.
Sailing and Learning - At sea
Enjoy two peaceful days at sea as we make our way south to Valparaíso. The expedition team recaps our voyage and continues their lecture program.
Seaside Living - La Serena, Chile - Half Day
La Serena is one of the oldest cities in Chile. The town is overflowing with colorful gardens and beautiful churches. In the Archaeological Museum, you can learn about the ancient Diaguita culture that thrived in this province before the Incan conquest.
Coquimbo and La Serena City Tour (4 hrs 15)
Join us on a city tour of La Serena and the Coquimbo region. Our first stop is La Serena lighthouse for sweeping panoramic views. We then visit La Serena´s main plaza, where the city was founded in 1544. We also drive to La Herradura Bay, where legends say pirates buried a treasure. Before returning to the ship, we visit La Recova Market featuring handicrafts like lapis lazuli (Chile's famous semi-precious blue stone) and alpaca wool.
The `Jewel of the Pacific´ - Valparaíso, Chile - Disembarkation
Our expedition ends in the wonderful, vibrant and poetic city of Valparaíso. After disembarking the ship, take some time to stroll the UNESCO-listed Historic Quarter, or ride a funicular to one of the many hilltops for a citywide panorama.